We asked personal stylist Catherine Robertson to spill her best tricks for achieving a luxury look without spending a fortune…
Looking stylish is definitely not about how expensive your clothes are. Whilst I wouldn’t discourage anyone to invest in a classic Prada handbag, in reality most of us don’t have £2,000 to spare, and thankfully nor do we need to. In recent years, the high street has come on a long way and I passionately believe it’s your one-stop shop to looking fabulous and effortlessly chic. Follow my rules below and you can’t go wrong.
1. Keep colours, patterns and styles simple. Yes, it’s fun to have a few wardrobe items in the latest trend, but simple pieces in classic colours create a sophisticated look that won’t date. As Coco Chanel once said “Fashion changes, but style endures.” Breton stripes are a classic and I love this jacket from H&M. At only £29.99 it’s your ultimate go-to staple. Wear with a plain black top, skinny jeans and either ballet pumps or heels for your perfect day or evening outfit.
2. A good fit is essential. Clothes that don’t fit look cheap, whether they are from Gucci or Primark. The sizing of clothes varies considerably from shop to shop so you need to work out which stores have styles best suit your body shape. Also, don’t be afraid to get items altered. If the waist is too big on an otherwise perfect pair of jeans, then get it adjusted. Most dry cleaners on your high street offer this service for around £15 – £20.
3. Choose good quality fabrics. This does not necessarily mean avoid the cheaper garments. There are some amazing buys out there, but you need to be careful. As a general rule avoid anything that has a sheen to it, is very thin, creases easily (unless it’s linen) or simply screams “100% polyester”. The high street also offers some luxurious 100% cashmere pieces at great prices – head to M&S for a classic cashmere jumper that will never go out of fashion.
4. Invest in shoes and bags. Shoes in particular can make or break an outfit. If you can afford it, invest in a pair from the upper end of the high street such as Russell & Bromley or LK Bennett. Not only will they look great but they will give the impression that the rest of your outfit is in this league. A large tote bag will complete your look and the high street now offers some amazing real leather bags at affordable prices such as this gorgeous one from River Island.
5. Accessories are essential. A scarf and pair of sunglasses are a must. Not only will a scarf keep you warm, one effortlessly draped around the neck creates a sophisticated look. Sunglasses are great for covering a multitude of sins and they always look chic. For a classic style keep them big, black and simple. Think of your hair and nails as important accessories too. A blow dry and manicure will perfect your look.
My final piece of advice is to watch Fashion Police – it’s both hilarious and informative!
Mention Voucherbox.co.uk and you’ll receive a 20% discount off my services.