National Walking Month is a good excuse to get outdoors, explore the glorious countryside and take in sights you may not have seen before. It‘s an activity everyone can get involved with and it‘s not only great for your health; it lowers stress, improves the mood and engenders a feeling of amazing wellbeing. Best of all you can do it anytime, anywhere! In honour of National Walking Month this May, we have put together some suggestions for the best walking and hiking trips in the UK, as well as some great deals that will really help get your feet moving.
The UK’s best walks
- The Pembrokeshire Coast Path in Wales features jagged cliffs and pretty villages along its peninsular path. It is advisable to give yourself about two weeks to cover the nearly 300 km long coastal walk.
- The Southern Upland Way winds its way across Southern Scotland and is reputed to be a tough and challenging walk across isolated trails, and desolate forests with few amenities.
- Cotswold Way is a 100 mile long journey that winds its way through the limestone hills of the Cotswolds.
- The Thames Path meanders through some of England’s most historic and beautiful landscapes starting at Cirencester in Gloucestershire and culminating in some of the most famous attractions of London. The Coleridge Way is ideal for the more poetically inclined. Winding through the Somerset countryside it follows the poet’s trail through Porlock, Exmoor, Brendon Hills, and Nether Stowey on the Quantock hills.
- If you‘re looking for less strenuous trails there are some spectacular London walks that take you on Jack the Ripper’s trail, the significant haunts of the Beatles, Old Westminster by Gaslight, and so on.
Great deals for National Walking Month
- You can get your hands on some great National Trust deals, such as this exclusive 25% off annual memberships. Get interesting ideas for days out and last minute special offers that will have you out and about with the entire family.
- Embrace the romance of the railways with the help of 16-25 Railcard promotions, such as 12% off for student’s, 10% off annual cards and more. See how you can save whilst exploring the great outdoors.
- Check out all transport deals to get to your favourite walking spots through great rail offers, taxi deals, car hire discounts and much more. You can currently get up to 25% off at Hoppa, free snacks, refreshments and Wi-Fi when you book Megabus Gold tickets and more.
So get your walking shoes on and head on out into the great outdoors.